Transforming Communities Institute
We respond to community-identified needs across Utah. Drawing on strengths and assets, we collaborate and engage with residents and leaders to transform communities through research, professional education and training, advocacy, and action to build strong, resilient, and inclusive communities.
All Utahns will live in thriving, vibrant communities.
- We listen: to all community voices.
- We learn: with and from community members.
- We educate: future social work professionals, community leaders, and members.
- We engage: with diverse community partners.
- We value: diverse perspectives, experiences, and contributions.
- We mobilize: individuals, groups, and agencies.
- We collaborate: intentionally and effectively to improve key community outcomes.
- We work: the process from initial assessment to final outcomes.
A months-long community assessment process was initiated in 2021 with support from the College of Humanities & Social Sciences. Community decision-makers, elected officials, and community-based agencies in Logan, Brigham City, Kaysville, Tooele, Price, Vernal, Moab, and Blanding were surveyed regarding their perceptions about urgent social needs in their communities. Additionally, students and alumni of the Department of Social Work were interviewed about their future practice and educational options and views about macro social work practice. More than 200 stakeholders participated -- results helped TCI identify key priority areas that support community well-being, especially for marginalized groups.
- Housing & Homelessness
- Substance Use Prevention, Treatment, & Recovery
- Mental & Physical Healthcare Access
- Family & Partner Relationships
Other priority areas include community vitality, sexual health and education, LGBTQ+ issues, and racism.